About Me

My photo
23 year old going on 50. I take my carry basket to the farmers markets every week and Avoid getting a tan at all costs. I also have lots of tattoos. Two beautiful children and a "Hubby". And an obsession with cooking - moving into a place that doesn't have an oven...

Monday, July 4, 2011

Fitness Risotto

I'm three days into my fitness kick.
Can it be called a fitness kick yet? Is it a hobby? A faze? What's it called after only three days?
A start. That's what I'll call it.
I was planning on joining the gym, but I haven't even managed to get the meeting to join! So I decided to make the most of what I've got. Which is a lot easier than I thought it would be. We have one of those home gym thingos in the shed. We also have a Wii Fit. So far I've done an hour 1:15 on Thursday on the Wii and 60 reps of chest press, arm pull downs and 40 leg lifts (my legs are weak). Same on Saturday.
It's made a difference. I can feel it. I'm more patient, more enegetic. I feel better about myself and hold myself better. I actually want to excersize.
Which is surprising. I'm uhh...
 Lazy.
Won't even try to sugarcoat it. Why bother? It won't help me at all. It's not going to help me be the mum running around with her kids at the park. It's not going to improve my blood pressure...
So I'm going to stop lying to myself.
And I hope that I keep this up. I'm sure I can, because it's all done at home. I don't need to go anywhere or pay any money to do it.
So now I just need some healthy recipes to go with my excersize.
Here's a favourite risotto recipe. (Risotto is healthy, right?)
base recipe found at bestrecipes.com

Ingredients:
·         30g butter.
·         1 onion chopped
·         3 cups stock
·         1 cup aborio rice
·         1/3 cup grated parmesan cheese

In a large deep sided microwave dish (I used my Tupperware Ultra Pro - I haven't done a plug in AGES and this product is amazing - google it) melt butter on high for 45 seconds. did I mention this is a microwave recipe?
Stir in onion and cook on high, uncovered for 2 minutes.
Add rice and mix in until well coated with butter. Cook on high for 1 minute.
Add stock and cook on high, uncovered for 10 minutes. Stir well.
Cook on high uncovered for another 8 minutes.
Remove from microwave and stir in parmesan cheese and season with pepper if desired. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.
To this recipe I added a very ripe avocado, chopped and mixed into the risotto so it's almost mashed in, and four cooked chicken thighs chopped up. Amazing.
The recipe says that it only feeds 2 people, but I think it would easily feed four.

I'm going to attempt a chicken and mushroom version today, will let you know how I go.

(Seriously though, IS risotto healthy?)

No comments:

Post a Comment